What I thought worked well was the use of the obscure, found, wooden shapes. Like previous pieces I tried to slot everything together in a unique way. Although the way I had chosen did cause problems when covering the wood up.
These problems occurred when I had to cover up the bottom layer of wood after I had already layered other bits on top. If I were to do this process again I would cover each piece of wood with some from of layering before fastening them together.
Another thing that I thought worked really well is the mark marking that shows through from the back. Even though at the time all I wanted to do was try to get rid of the emptiness and blankness of the wood it ended up becoming quite and effective part of the piece. However I didn't use this technique to it's full potential so in future pieces exploring the realm of paint and then including it more overtly in pieces such as this one.
I tried to expand on the use of familiar icons, although this is another avenue that I can expand. One thing thought worked really well was the use of shiny black asitate. This is because with this piece I tried to create an intense feel of texture and contrasting texture. The shiny surface of the asistate works really effectively in contrast to the plain wood grain and the rough feel of the ripped paper surrounding it. It also seem chance still plays a high part in my work (or apparent chance) depending on how aware I am of my subconscious, this is because the main graphic element in this piece which is in the centre was created through me noticing a face like shape in the middle then creating something from it. I was apprehensive over what should go in the centre as it is usually the main focal point when looking at a piece of art. This meant it had to be powerful enough to drag your eye in but then in a subtle way push your eyes around the rest of the piece. Despite my apprehension I feel that this worked well.
Another element that I tried to include was the use of the negative space in-between the sweeping wooden swirls. I felt the piece was incredibly overpowering and chaotic with a sense of claustrophobia alongside of it. So by including this piece I felt I managed to create a peaceful containment over the incredibly wild work.
Overall I think the piece works well and is by far my strongest piece, however I need to open my eyes to new ways to use different materials so my work can progress further. I also need to emphasise my intentions of the piece clearly in the future this is because although it is amazing to see my work progress so organically I feel a little more direction wouldn't hurt especially going alongside the experimentation and playfulness that I intend to continue by experimenting further with other materials.
No comments:
Post a Comment