In an interview I read Stockholder placed a lot of emphasis on the actual architectural design of the piece and how it is just as important as the work that covers it.
'With installations it’s the building, the architecture, or you might say it’s the place that I work on top of; with the smaller pieces I work on top of or in relation to stuff that I collect.' - Jessica Stockholder
' It doesn’t matter what materials I use. It can be anything. What’s interesting is how what I’m doing combines with the stuff I use, but then it’s not entirely true to say that. I also choose things for particular reasons, though not according to a particular aesthetic. More often I avoid the development of a cohesive look that will too powerfully direct the work in only one direction. A lot of people have written about my work in terms of junk. That I sometimes use junk doesn’t seem of central importance to me. I use all kinds of things, old and new. Much of the stuff I use could be found in your living room.' - Jessica Stockholder.
I found this quote incredibly interesting as I place high importance on using found materials and although in my work it looks random and meaningless the majority of it is strategically planned and of high value to the piece.
As I was saying about previous pieces I must use paint more in my work, Stockholder said about how she 'never stopped painting but only transferred it from the wall into three dimensions.'
This is something else I would like to experiment with in the future as well, as I have always been proud of my painting however this year I have barely touched a paint brush.
In this piece I saw a strong link in comparison to my work. The definite black lines create an incredible geometric containment of colour. This piece is a great example of how my work can now produce further. I feel that now might be the time for me like Stockholder to take what is currently on the wall and transform it into three dimensions.

No comments:
Post a Comment