Friday, 18 November 2011

Recycling: Bargain Basement.

On the second week of the fine art rotation we were looking at how installations can be made by using recycled materials. We were also meant to try and relate these installations to our shop window displays from the previous week. We started by looking at Joan Miro who concentrated on abstract formal qualities and was known for juxtaposing completely different things to create a single sculpture. I feel His work is incredibly interesting because it can give off different meanings to different people and causes discussion and debates over whether it is art or not. This I feel only strengthens his design and can been seen as the actual definition of fine art.

Another artist who is similar to Joan Miro in the way he puts things together that dint usually belong is Thomas Herschhorn. He is more contemporary than Miro although I feel he relates more to the task we were set as he uses everyday materials such as cardboard to create his sculptures. Throughout his work you can tell he is interested in hardcore daily life and he is very economical. Along with this it is clear that he is interested in the energy within his work rather than the quality.
 
When I was first brainstorming ideas I wanted to create a cube that looked as though it was collapsing in on itself using cardboard. This would've created almost an optical illusion although it didn't work out in the way which I'd hoped. I had not left enough space in between each square of cardboard so there was not enough depth to create the effect I was looking for. So after this I then developed what I had already started into more of an architectural model rather than the decorative fine art design that I had originally intended. I found that this ended up working incredibly well I also based my main idea for it on my project in the 3D design rotation. My only concern was that I didn't want my work to come across as an architectural piece because although I appreciate architectural design it's not my main interest or strength within fine art.

After completing my model I made a variety or geometric stamps using little scraps of cardboard. I used these on my first design although they didn't create a huge impact because I had already created my design based on the colours that were already printed on the cardboard. However I did find a use for the stamps when I created a geometric design on one of my previous attempts at creating my cube. This worked really well as it was incredibly simple but still held quite a powerful effect. 







No comments:

Post a Comment