Friday, 23 September 2011
Rotations: 3D design
On my first week of rotations I had 3D design. I didn't know very much about the area before this week so I was incredibly interested to find out more. On the first day we had to bring in objects that could be cut or dis formed in some way and then choose from 3 subjects that our objects could relate to. The first was jewelry which involves working on a small scale the second was seating which involves working on a medium scale and the last was either interior or exterior architecture. I started using a banana and tried to link it with seating although I found sketching out ideas and designs using a banana was quite difficult. So then I moved on to using a conker shell. Once we had made a few sketches from our cut up objects we then had to sketch using wire. This was a lot harder than it sounded because although the wire was easy to bend and create interesting shapes out of, creating the specific idea you had in mind was quite a challenge.
On the second day we had a go at really forming our ideas by creating a marquette to represent a full scale idea. After taking inspiration from the work or Richard Serra and Zaha Hadid a tried to create some really flowing, elegant pieces and drawings although I found hard to create something that was an original shape and design after looking through so many other mesmorising pieces. After a day of trial and error designing I finally finished with a reasonably well put together model that did initially represent my conker shell.
On the final day we were set a brief which told us to take our designs and put them in a different context. This was relatively easy as my design was quite simple and could be manipulated into other forms. However I found it challenging to draw a 3D perspective drawing which included my design is many different contexts such as a chair, a light fitting, a plant pot and a sofa. Although I enjoyed getting to work with a cornucopia of materials and creating my ideas in a 3D form I feel that I couldn't grasp measuring out and being entirely accurate with my design sketches.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment