My forth week of rotations was fine art and the week I was most looking forward to experiencing.
On the first day We started off with a really interesting game of pictionary which involved drawing the word using a variety of marks instead of drawing symbols. I found this exercise incredibly helpful in loosening up my drawing style although it was quite difficult as my team were hopeless although it was probably more to do with my drawings. In the Afternoon we had a go at blind drawing a model with a number of different objects being moved around by her. This again was really helpful in loosening up my drawing technique and added a lot of movement into my drawings. Although some of my drawings ended up looking like nothing although I think that's just because I'm used to judging my work so critically when an activity like this is used I find it difficult to tell what looks good and what doesn't also it made me realise that just completing the activity isn't always enough to create a piece of work that does look good. After the blind drawings we had a go at using our hands and feet to draw with. After the initial surprise of finding out what the activity was the pieces of work we created were really interesting and well worth the jaw cramp.
On the second day we looked at the work of Gabriel Orozco and how he takes the idea of movement and makes an incredible visual impact using his 3 dimensional designs. I started by just using old video tape and sticky tape and kept my design very angular and geometric and then collaborated with Jack Gray's design which was almost the complete opposite, this created an image that held some symmetry along with an explosion of movement and it did look as though the two opposites had collided. After this day in rotations I also looked into the work of Roman Singer, Damien Ortega and Tony Cregg. I really liked the way each artist all had such different ways of working although they all convey the same principal of movent. Probably my favorite artist that I looked at was Damien Ortega who's work mesmorised me. I just found the way his 3 dimensional pieces of art looked as though a silent explosion had happened and he'd taken a freeze frame clip of these fragmented objects suspended in mid air. It really was fascinating.
At the end of the fine art rotation I found that it wasn't exactly what I expected and the work that we did was completely the opposite to my usual work although I feel that along with this whole course I know it will give a completely new dimension to my work and increase the inspiration and desire to come up with new and innovative ways to work and process my ideas.
On the Friday we had a go at experimenting with colour by creating a piece of work from taking samples from everyone else 3 dimensional designs. At the end of the activity I had a piece of work that I really liked, I felt the contrast in colours worked really well along with the different shapes and textures. Although at the end when looking at a finished piece of work it was difficult to determine between the good and bad points of my own work.










No comments:
Post a Comment